Blog


Redcliffe Peninsula


   Suburbs On Peninsula      Margate (4019) 26km to CBD Clontarf (4019) 25km to CBD Woody Point (4019) 25km to CBD Redcliffe (4020) 27km to CBD Newport (4020) 29km to CBD Scarborough (4020) 30km to CBD Kippa Ring (4021) 27km to CBD Rothwell (4022) 28km to CBD     History     The brig Amity set sail for Redcliffe from Sydney on September 1, 1824 carrying settlement commandant Lieutenant Miller, explorer John Oxley, a crew and convicts. The party landed at Redcliffe on September 13, 1824.  Redcliffe is part of the statistical division of Brisbane. The town's name originates from "Red Cliff Point" named by the explorer John Oxley, referring to the red cliffs at Woody Point.  Redcliffe became Queensland's first colony in 1824; however, it was soon abandoned for Brisbane. Before European settlement in 1824, the area now known as Redcliffe was inhabited by Aborigines who took full advantage of the foods...


Kallangur & Surrounds


  Suburbs Petrie (4502) 24km from CBD Kallangur (4503) 25km from CBD Narangba (4504) 32km from CBD Dakabin (4503) 27km from CBD Burpengary (4505)  35km from CBD Burpengary East (4505)  30km form CBD   History The first change of horses for Cobb and Co. coaches after leaving Brisbane took place at Tom Petrie's Murrumba homestead but, by 1870, increasing demand led to the establishment of a separate hostelry, known as Petrie's accommodation house, which offered a range of services to travellers.  By the early 1890s, the North Pine district had a population of 500 and the Post Office Directories for the period list the presence of a visiting police magistrate, six justices of the peace, a clerk of petty sessions, two police officers, a postmistress and savings bank officer, a stationmaster and telegraph operator, two teachers, five clergymen, two bakers, one blacksmith, one butcher, two carpenters, one hotelkeeper, several insurance agents, one pain...


Pine Rivers


  Suburbs Brendale (4500) 17km to CBD Ferny Hills (4055) 12km to CBD Arana Hills (4054) 11km to CBD Everton Hills (4053) 10km to CBD Eatons Hill (4037) 16km to CBD Strathpine (4500) 19km to CBD Albany Creek (4035) 14km to CBD Warner (4500) 20km to CBD Cashmere (4500) 21km to CBD   History Prior to European settlement, the Pine Rivers area was home to a number of Aboriginal clans belonging to the Turrbal, Kabi (Kabi Kabi or Gubbi Gubbi) and Waka (Wakka Wakka) language groups. These groups enjoyed a considerable amount of social interaction, especially at the time of the bunya feasts in the Blackall Range and the Bunya Mountains. On 1 December 1823, a party under the leadership of John Oxley first navigated the North Pine River, landed at Oxleys Inlet and climbed a hill in the area now commemorated by the John Oxley Reserve in Murrumba Downs. Settlement of the Pine Rivers region had to await the closure of the Moreton Bay convict settlement&nbs...


North Lakes & Surrounds


  Suburbs North Lakes (4509) 28km to CBD Mango Hill (4509) 25km to CBD Griffin (4503) 22km to CBD Murrumba Downs (4503) 22km to CBD   History Mango Hill, a residential suburb in the Pine Rivers district, originally began at the junction of the Bruce Highway and Anzac Avenue, the road to Redcliffe. Its southern boundary was Fresh Water Creek and most of its northern boundary was Saltwater Creek. Mango Hill is one of the suburbs running in a north-westerly arc from the Petrie rail corridor across to the Redcliffe district. Not only was the landscape of Mango Hill devoid of a public-transport service, it was criss-crossed with waterways. Modern earth-moving turned the watery landscape into a subdivider's opportunity. Mango Hill had been known locally by that name since the 1950s, and it was defined as a suburb in 1980. It included North Lakes, which was formally named and detached in 2006, reducing Mango Hill's area by about two-thirds. In the mid-1990s design...


12 Days of Christmas in Moreton Bay


Read More

Mt Gravatt & Surrounds


Mount Gravatt & Surrounds   Suburbs Mt Gravatt (4122) 8.3km to CBD Holland Park (4121) 6.9km to CBD Wishart (4122) 12km to CBD Carina (4152) 6.6km to CBD Carina Heights (4152) 7.4km to CBD Carindale (4152) 9.8km to CBD Mansfield (4122) 10km to CBD   History The Jagera and Turrbal Aboriginal clans had lived around the Brisbane river for a considerable time period before European settlers arrived, but the exact length is hard to pin down. Europeans didn't settle the region until the first convict jail was built in Redclliffe in 1824, but even that was quickly moved to the site of the present-day Brisbane CBD in 1825 after officials realised the natural bend in the river provided a pretty good barrier against escape. Free settlement didn't begin in the Brisbane region until 1842 because the Government initially wanted the jail kept isolated from the wider community. The usual assortment of entrepreneurs and ex-convicts quickly followed and a tow...